Garbage disposals are a luxury or an essential kitchen appliance, depending on who you ask. They help get rid of waste and keep your plumbing system clear of clogs. However, like other appliances, your garbage disposal also comes with a life expectancy.
Understanding your garbage disposal and its lifespan can help you maintain it and help you plan for a new one when the time comes.
What Impacts the Life of Your Garbage Disposal
Here are some factors that can contribute to the life of your garbage disposal.
- Garbage disposal frequency: the more you use your garbage disposal, the more the blades and motor are being used
- What is being put in the garbage disposal: what you put down your drain has a big impact on how your garbage disposal lasts. For example, putting grease, egg shells, and coffee grounds is a no-no.
- Quality and installation of garbage disposal: today’s garbage disposals are more durable and powerful than older models. Investing in a newer, heavy-duty one will be beneficial in the long run.
Signs it’s time to Replace your Garbage Disposal
Think it’s time for a new garbage disposal? Check for these surefire signs!
- Bad smells in your drain that just won’t go away
- Your garbage disposal is making strange noises
- You’re frequently repairing your garbage disposal
- You often press the reset button
- Your garbage disposal won’t turn on at all
Need a New Garbage Disposal?
On average, a garbage disposal will last around 12 years with normal use, but that number can decrease with overuse or neglect. If you’re ready for a new garbage disposal or simply need a repair, the journeyman plumbers at D & F Plumbing are here to help. We’ve been helping homeowners in the Portland and Vancouver area since 1927. With upfront pricing and same-day & next-day availability, you can always count on us.
Interested in a garbage disposal installation? Learn about the cost and see photos of our professional installation from our satisfied customers!