Say goodbye to sweltering heat and welcome a refreshing change! Whether your AC has transformed into a fiery breath of frustration or you just want to upgrade your current unit to something more efficient, D & F is here to make your AC replacement a breeze.
Our dedicated team of experts will accompany you every step of the way, ensuring a seamless experience from selecting the perfect unit for your home to flawless installation and ongoing maintenance. Don’t settle for the ordinary; choose us for extraordinary AC replacement services that will leave you feeling cool and confident. Give us a call today and let us show you the difference we can make!
Signs You Need a New Air Conditioner
If your house feels like a summer trip through death valley, that’s a telltale sign that your A/C isn’t working – but it isn’t the only sign. If you notice any of these problems, it may be time to invest in a new unit:
- HVAC system is more than 10 years old
- AC keeps dripping water or blowing hot air
- Energy bills are rising despite regular usage
- AC is loud or emits musty odors
- Air isn’t cool enough
- Cooling is uneven
In some cases, these problems just need a few quick repairs. The experts at D&F can help with that, too! We’ll examine your unit to figure out exactly what isn’t working and help you determine the most cost-effective solution. Our team will discuss all repair and replacement options with you to find the best course of action for your household, budget, and needs.
Benefits of a New AC Unit
On the fence about whether you should invest in a new AC unit, or just stick out another summer with the same rusty clunker of years gone by? While the choice is up to you, new air conditioners offer a number of advantages that can make your house even more comfortable and efficient:
- Improved indoor air quality: During your AC installation, your technician will hunt down the dust bunnies and other forms of grime that makes itself all too comfortable in your home. Additionally, newer models are designed to suck humidity and impurities out of the air while they function, resulting in air cleaner than the great outdoors.
- Reduced utility bills: Nothing’s worse than being hit with a massive energy bill because you ran the AC on a hot summer’s day. Replacing an old unit with a newer and more efficient one can help you significantly reduce utility costs each month.
- Lower repair costs: One of the biggest signs that your AC unit is dying is the need for frequent repairs. If your air conditioner is frequently breaking down like a sketchy used car and requiring new parts, it may be best to just invest in a new unit that will function more reliably.
- Proper AC size: Yes, size matters when it comes to your AC unit. If your air conditioner never seems to get cold enough, then it could be too small for your space. On the flip side, one that’s too big could lead to high utility bills. An AC replacement is the perfect time to resize your unit to find the perfect fit for your space.
AC Replacement FAQs
Most AC units last between 15 and 20 years. That said, proper care and maintenance are essential to keeping your air conditioner in good working condition. It’s important to routinely replace the filters, check the refrigerant level, and ensure the condensers are clear. If you want to keep your AC in great shape, the pros at D&F can help you build the perfect maintenance routine.
An AC replacement project will cost you a ballpark range of $5,000 and $20,000. However, the cost can change significantly depending on a few factors such as the size of your home and the type of unit you select. To get a better idea of what your replacement will cost, give us a call today and get a personalized estimate!
In general, you should replace your AC unit at least once every 10 years or if it stops working properly. Though we always try to perform cost-effective repairs wherever possible, a worn-down unit that is consuming large amounts of energy and no longer efficiently cooling your home needs to be replaced.
Most air conditioner replacements take between 4 and 8 hours to complete. If you are also replacing your furnace, the project will take a bit longer. Every home is also different; from the square footage of your house to the type of equipment you choose, there are several factors that can influence the total time it takes to replace your AC. If you want a more customized timeline estimate, please give us a call today!
A SEER rating, or ratio, shows an AC unit’s cooling capabilities versus total energy used. Higher SEER ratios indicate that the unit uses less energy to put cool air into your home. The most common SEER rating is between 14 and 22.
A BTUh rating shows how much energy your AC unit uses to remove heat from your home. This is measured in tonnage, where one ton equals 12,000 BTUh. When selecting an AC unit for your home, you should use the BTUh rating to find the right size for your square footage.
To find the right size of AC unit for your home, you’ll first want to figure out how many square feet you need heating and cooling for. Then, you’ll want to find a unit with the right tonnage to cover your space:
- 1.5 tons: 600-1,000 sq ft
- 2.0 tons: 1,000-1,500 sq ft
- 3.0 tons: 1,500-2,000 sq ft
- 4.0 tons: 2,000-2,500 sq ft
- 5.0 tons: 2,500-3,300 sq ft
Still not sure which AC unit size is right for your home? D & F is here to help! Our experts will take your home size, climate, and temperature preferences into consideration to find the perfect option for your space.
Your Local A/C Replacement Experts
Ready to beat the heat and enjoy a cool, comfortable home? Give D&F Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling a call! With over 97 years of experience serving the greater Portland OR area, our licensed journeyman HVAC technicians have what it takes to provide you with unparalleled service. From discussing repair options to performing fast, seamless replacements, we will make sure your AC is working reliably all year round. Contact us today to learn more or get started!