Let’s be totally honest here. Toilet paper (T.P.) is something we all use and need. You only have to look back to the shelter-in-crisis moments as the global pandemic took hold in the spring of 2020. Nearly half of all grocery stores in the United States were out of stock of toilet paper on April 19.
Now that there are plenty of rolls available, you may be wondering what type of T.P. is best when it comes to your drains. Our plumbing experts have some excellent recommendations.
Why Toilet Paper Matters for Plumbing
Toilet paper is more than just a daily necessity; it plays a pivotal role in the health of your plumbing system. Ever wondered why some brands are labeled as the “best toilet paper for plumbing” or why professionals have a list of their personal favorites? It’s not just about comfort or luxury; it’s about ensuring the longevity and efficiency of your home’s plumbing. And let’s be real, Portlanders, we know our coffee, our craft beer, and yes, our toilet paper too! Hey, we’re discerning like that!
The Plumbing Perspective
- Clog Prevention: The right toilet paper breaks down easily, preventing potential blockages. A clog-free system means fewer plumbing emergencies and reduced maintenance costs. And let’s face it, the only thing we want clogging our days in Portland is traffic on the I-5, not our toilets!
- Septic System Health: For homes with septic systems, the type of toilet paper can impact the system’s efficiency. The faster the toilet paper dissolves, the less strain on the septic system, ensuring its longevity. And in a city that prides itself on being green, this is a no-brainer.
- Economic Benefits: Investing in the right toilet paper can save homeowners in the long run. Fewer clogs mean fewer calls to the plumber, translating to savings. And more money for those Voodoo Doughnuts or trips to Powell’s Books!
- Biodegradability: Eco-friendly toilet papers dissolve faster, reducing the environmental impact. They’re not just good for your pipes but also for the planet. And in Portland, where we hug our trees, this matters!
- Reduced Chemical Usage: Some of the best toilet papers for plumbing use fewer chemicals in their production, leading to less chemical residue entering the water system. After all, we want our Willamette River clean and pristine.
Homeowner Peace of Mind
Knowing you’re using a toilet paper that’s plumber-recommended gives homeowners peace of mind. It’s one less thing to worry about in the grand scheme of home maintenance. Plus, with the right product, you’re not just taking care of your home but also contributing to a more sustainable future. So next time you’re out enjoying a stroll by the Waterfront Park, you can smile, knowing your plumbing back home is in tip-top shape!
In essence, the type of toilet paper you choose is a small decision with significant implications. It’s not just about personal comfort but about making a choice that benefits your plumbing, your pocket, and the planet. Yep, here in Portland we make every choice count!
The Disintegration Of Paper To Water
There are all kinds of toilet paper you can buy, but the most important factor to consider is the disintegration of paper to water or the speed it takes to dissolve. It’s not just about the softness or the fancy patterns; it’s about the science behind what makes it the best toilet paper for plumbing.
If the T.P. you use in your home is very slow at breaking down, then a potential clog could arise over time as the paper gets stuck in the pipes.
A clogged system in the bathroom is no fun and happens more often than you think. You want to escape, but there’s no place to hide, right? Especially when you’re faced with the dreaded overflow.
So, what toilet paper do plumbers recommend? Well, the answer might surprise you. It’s not always the most expensive or the thickest. It’s about finding the balance between comfort and functionality. You’ll want the best dissolving toilet paper that also feels soft on your…unmentionables.
Factors Influencing Toilet Paper Dissolvability
How the toilet paper is made has everything to do with how well it dissolves. Here are some factors to consider:
- Material Composition:
- Wood Pulp: Most common toilet papers are made from wood pulp, which can vary in its breakdown speed. The purer the pulp, the quicker it dissolves.
- Bamboo: An eco-friendly option, bamboo-based toilet papers tend to break down faster than their wood pulp counterparts, making them a top choice for the environmentally conscious and those with older plumbing systems.
- Manufacturing Processes:
- Air Drying: Some luxury brands air-dry their toilet paper, giving it that plush feel. However, this can make it less dissolvable.
- Bleaching: Toilet papers that undergo extensive bleaching to achieve that pristine white look might be tougher on pipes due to the added chemicals.
- Additives and Binders:
- Some toilet papers have additives for fragrance or moisture, and binders to hold the ply together. These can affect how quickly the paper dissolves in water. For instance, the best toilet paper for sewer lines would ideally have fewer additives.
In the end, while we all love a luxurious feel, it’s essential to consider the bigger picture. After all, a few moments of luxury shouldn’t lead to hours with a plumber!
One-Ply, Two-Ply Or More; Does It Matter?
The “ply” refers to the thickness of each sheet, for example. A single-ply or 1-ply toilet paper is economical and effective for septic systems because it breaks down much faster than a 2-ply or 3-ply toilet paper even when more paper is used.
A 3-ply is known for being a plush and pricey toilet paper, and experts who have researched how toilet paper sheets all dissolve have found that the 3-ply is not a good performer. In fact, when 3-ply sheets are removed from water in a test, they remain fully intact and thick with water.
A 2-ply sheet of T.P. contains a double layer of paper and is soft and absorbent, but it, too, can cause a clogged septic system in older units or where there’s no flush or low water flow circumstances.
Best Toilet Paper Brands For Your Drains
Of course, the T.P. you prefer is up to you, but here are some high-performing brands that have been recognized for their quality and plumbing-friendliness:
- Scott 1000: This is an amazing 1-ply toilet paper that dissolves faster than the rest and still performs better even if you use more sheets.
- Angel Soft: For a 2-ply roll of T.P., this brand is effective at disintegrating quickly and offering a soft texture quality.
- Charmin Ultra Soft: While incredibly soft and plush, this brand might not be the best for older plumbing systems due to its slower dissolving rate. However, for homes without plumbing issues, it offers a luxurious experience.
- Presto! Ultra Soft Tissue Paper: An Amazon Brand that’s easy on the pocket yet reliable in the flush. While it’s designed to dissolve swiftly, its slightly stiffer nature might make it a better fit for homes with newer plumbing systems.
- Kirkland Signature Bath Tissue: Costco’s very own, this toilet paper is not only budget-friendly but also known for its balance between softness and dissolvability. It’s a go-to choice for many households, especially those buying in bulk.
Remember, the best toilet paper for your home will depend on your specific plumbing system and personal preferences. It’s always a good idea to test a few brands and see which one works best for your needs.
Experts in Clogged Drains for Portland
Now that you know what makes the best toilet paper for plumbing, you’re in the clear, right? Nope. Even with top-tier T.P., things can go sideways. Old pipes, unexpected blockages, or that one time you tried a “luxury” brand and regretted it instantly as the water in your toilet bowl started rising… When those moments strike, and you’re left wondering if Angel Soft really does clog toilets, remember you’ve got a friend in the plumbing biz!
D&F Plumbing, Heating, and Cooling has been the go-to for the greater Portland, OR, and Vancouver, WA areas since 1927. That’s almost a century of unclogging, fixing, and ensuring homes in our beloved region stay functional and efficient. So, the next time you’re in a bind (or a clog), don’t hesitate to reach out. Our drain cleaning solutions are fast and effective!
While your tushy deserves the softest touch, your pipes demand respect. Choose wisely, and when in doubt, give D&F a shout.