Solar Water Heaters
Serving Portland OR | Beaverton OR | Clackamas OR | Vancouver WA
If you’re looking into a more cost-effective way into producing hot water into your home, solar water heaters may be your answer. There are different types suitable for any climate and their source, the sun, is free!
Types of Solar Water Heaters and How They Work
The components of a solar water heater system include the storage tank, flat-plate collector, and switches. There are two main types of solar water heaters.
- Active solar water heaters: A flat plate collector on your roof and an antifreeze solution use energy from the sun and transfer it to your water supply storage tank. Active solar water heaters use a solar-powered pump or an electric-powered pump to circulate water from your storage tank to the heating panels. These systems are popular in areas where it’s colder because it helps prevent damage from freezing.
- Passive solar water heaters: In this system, your water is heated directly by the sun’s thermal energy. No pump is used in this system. The pressure from the hot water pushes cold water out of the storage tank, through the solar heating panel, then back to the storage tank.
Solar water heaters can also be indirect or direct.
- Direct solar water heater systems also called an open-loop system, water is taken from the storage tank, heated as it flows through the solar panels, then returned to the storage tank.
- Indirect solar water heater systems also called a closed-loop system, a heat transfer solution absorbs heat in the solar panels, then by use of a heat exchanger, transfers the energy into the storage tank.
Passive solar water heaters are typically less expensive than active solar water heaters, but they’re not as efficient. On-the-other-hand, passive systems are typically more reliable and have a longer lifespan.
Solar water heating systems nearly always require a backup for overcast days or increased hot water demand. Conventional water heaters are common as a backup for solar water heating systems.
Need Help with Solar Water Heaters?
Click the Button below to leave your information. A team member will be reaching out to you very shortly!
Advantages of Owning a Solar Water Heater System
There are several advantages to owning a solar water heater system including:
- They are environmentally friendly
- They provide larger savings
- Solar water heaters can increase the value of your property
- You may qualify for state and federal energy incentives
How Much Do Solar Water Heaters Cost?
Solar water heater systems typically cost more initially, but often pay for themselves in about 2 to 5 years. Since there are different types of solar water heating systems, the cost varies. Passive systems can cost about $1,000 to $3,000 for installation, while active systems can run between $2,000 to $4,000. You’ll also have to tank into account which tank size you’ll need, if you’ll need a backup or extra plumbing. After talking with you and learning more about your household’s needs, we’ll be able to provide you with an estimate on your solar water heater system.
Solar Water Heater Repair and Maintenance Services
As with any other water heater, your solar water heater will eventually need maintenance too. Passive solar heater systems typically require less maintenance than active systems. We recommend your solar water heater be serviced every 3 to 5 years by an experienced plumbing contractor. If your system uses electrical components, it made need to be serviced every 2 to 10 years. Whether your system is passive or active, we at D & F Plumbing have the knowledge and experience to properly repair and service your solar water heater.
Experts in Solar Water Heater Installation Services
There are a variety of options on the market when it comes to solar water heaters. If you’re ready to have a solar water heating system installed on your property. D & F Plumbing can help. Our licensed journeyman plumbing contractors are highly skilled in the components involved in solar water heaters. We’ll talk with you and find you the right solar water heater for your location and your needs and we will properly install it for you, all with a friendly smile! So contact D & F Plumbing to add some energy-savings to your property!
Solar Water Heaters in Portland OR and Vancouver WA
Serving the Portland OR Metro, Clark County, and Surrounding Areas